Tuesday 31 August 2010

Car Boot Bargains :-)

After writing about my new ingenious storage solution (even if I say so myself!) for my earrings that I bought from a car boot recently (see post here) I thought I'd share a few of my other recent car boot buys with you. I tend to buy a real range of things from car boots - anything that catches my eye :-) Also, as I'm moving into a flat with my boyfriend soon, I've been on the lookout for anything that might be useful for that. So here goes...

Leopard print mirror - £1

We'll need a mirror in the flat, and I've already got a full length one, so I thought this would be perfect for doing my hair and make up. I know leopard print can be a bit Peter Stringfellow-y, but I think it's cool! And plus, £1 = bargain!

Girly reads! - 10p/20p/50p each

I have to be honest and say I'm not much of reader, so when I do pick up a book I just want something girly that's easy to read. Marian Keyes and Cecelia Ahern always have me hooked, and I heard that Eat. Pray. Love. by Elizabeth Gilbert is a book 'every woman should read' so I thought I'd give that a go too.

Flower letter rack - 50p

I thought I could put this to use in our new flat to hold all my letters, post it notes etc. Cute and girly is always a winner in my mind :-)

Retro Cadbury tin :-) - 50p

I really want to use this tin for all our chocolates and other naughty treats in our new flat! I have huge affection for Cadbury as my nan used to work for the company so it's always been part of our family, so I thought this was a really cool find.

Finally, this is my favourite recent buy. I picked up a really basic round chipboard table with legs that can be unscrewed for just £1.50. It was really plain and boring, but after getting back from the car boot I thought I'd make it my afternoon project to transform it into something unique for our flat. So I set to work...

Plain chipboard table - £1.50

And this is what I ended up with...

I'm so pleased with it! First up I painted the whole thing white, then on the legs I used masking tape to create a different design on each leg with bright pink paint - one is a spiral, another is stripes, and the third is squares.

For the top of the table I printed out a picture from the internet on to normal paper, cut it out and used it as a stencil.

This was my first little step into DIY design (I've never done anything like this before in my life) so I'm really pleased with how it looks. I think it will be perfect for my bedside table. Now I'm on the look out for a similar one that I can paint with a more manly design/colours for the boy's bedside table.

I really want to do other mini projects like this cos I really enjoyed it, so if any of you have any ideas of things I could do I'd love to hear them :-)

So that's just a few of my car boot buys. I'm off to another one tomorrow, so hopefully I'll pick up some goodies there too!

xx

5 comments:

  1. Wow that table is amazing you are very talented. Love the blog its great xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you - not bad for a first attempt I didn't think :-) It's got me inspired to do more...
    And thanks for the lovely comment on the blog - it's nice to know someone's reading it!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice table Erin!

    Murray

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a beautiful blog here! I love the pictures you have posted in this entry. I am now a follower. I hope to read from you soon again.
    XOXO
    Catanya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww thanks Catanya - my first ever follower! It means a lot :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete